Saturday, April 28, 2007

Saturday night, one more day of doula workshop to go.. but man do I feel good! If exhausted. I'd been feeling uncertain about my ability to do this, especially without shadowing a more experienced doula, and especially since I have absolutely no experience with laboring mothers of any kind. However, sometime today, in the midst of labor roleplay, I suddenly knew that I could do this, that if I had to, I could walk out of the workshop at that moment and straight into my first birth, and do fine. Of course I have tons to learn, and I would be much happier with some apprenticeship, but I know that I have the basic skill, and definitely the right instincts for this work. And one day to go!

However, labor roleplay and massage practice don't leave nearly as much time for sock knitting as lecture does, so I didn't get as much done on my current sock today as I'd hoped; I'm only partway down the heel flap. :( On the other hand, my knitting has brought up comments about knitting in particular as well as other activities to do while passing time during a labor. *And* a couple of my fellows were asking about learning... including one who asked about knitting socks! The infection spreads... *maniacal laughter*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you're doing great. It takes a special kind of person to support laboring women. Congrats!