Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Greeeeeeeeeeennn!! ...Eventually.

Norma is such a gardening inspiration... damn her eyes. I mean, I've been craving gardening space for years, and one of the things I was looking for while house-hunting was gardening space, and I was so happy when this house, in addition to its other perfections (well, qualities, anyway) had two raised beds already installed in the back yard. But then I look at what I can do, and what she has... *sigh* I really shouldn't compare, she's had her garden for years, and this is my first, and I'm pregnant and mobility challenged, to boot. Next year it'll be better. I still covet her bed edge thingies.


Tomatoes! Itty bitty yellow pear tomatoes, which Josh and I both love. The big sprawly thing is the parsley that our realtor gave us as a moving-in present, and which I had been keeping on the kitchen windowsill. The rosemary is still there, but the parsley had grown beyond my ability to keep it happy in a pot. What you can't see (because they haven't sprouted yet) are marigolds, to the right of the tomatoes, and chamomile, up in the watered panhandle.


This is the current state of the larger bed. I turned the soil in the last couple of days - half at a time because I'm so gimped right now - and now I'm getting out with the hoe and smoothing the clumps out. I expect that to take about two more days, because I can only do about a third at a time before I poop out. I wish I could do a better job of smoothing, etc., but I'm doing what I can. This is going to be flowers! Veggies, which I shall do in abundance another year, would be redundant because of the CSA we're doing, and I also anticipate that they would just be too dang much work with a newborn. So, flowers, many of them edible, to look pretty in the yard and to put in vases inside. :)


I noticed the other day that the climbing rose near our back door has begun developing buds. This spring has been so cold and dreary that I thought the roses wouldn't flower for another month at least, but here's a promise that it'll be only a week or two!


And the inevitable belly shot. 36 weeks today, and Igor is still very much a wigglewort. We had some fun times in the last couple of weeks with Igor experimenting with heads-up positioning. One reason I've been doing so much garden digging, despite my gimpiness, is that I discovered that the vigorous exercise made Igor turn back head-down to where s/he's supposed to be. Effective, and good for getting me more in shape, but rough on my poor bones and muscles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are looking fantastic! and so is the garden, we dirt diggers will come turn over all your soil for you!
Take care of yourself!